35% WEBSITE CREDIT ON "AVAILABLE NOW" PUPS Learn More
35% WEBSITE CREDIT ON "AVAILABLE NOW" PUPS

Limited Time Promotion

We are currently offering up to a 35% website credit on our "available now" puppies.

Prices reflect the credit and is automatically applied during checkout.

The credits offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

Call 787-974-PUPS (787) or make an appointment —>  https://bit.ly/33pxq61

Puppy training packages are available, please call for more info.

Delivery is now available all over Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, USVI'S, and all of the USA.

Somos los primeros en PR licenciados por el Dept de Salud. Nuestros 🐶 incluyen sus vacunas, historial de salud, microchip, están desparasitados y tienen garantía genética por 1 año. Si no encuentras el 🐶 que buscas, ingrese su info 👉 https://bit.ly/3PW2GNK

LIC# 865827

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Common Conditions

Gagging Puppy

August 23, 2016, 5:52 PM
Q: Hi,we have two shorkie pups 1 female and 1 male they are 12 weeks old,our male pup has had a cough that ends with him gagging for about 2 weeks now. we looked online and thought it was a "reverse sneeze" but more research makes it sound like that "kennel cough" . Is he too young for antibiotics ? will it go away on its own? should i get the expectorant you've mentioned for coughs.Our first vet visit the vet didn't hear the cough but said it probably was an allergy, should we take him back for a visit.His appetite and well being seem fine.Thanks
A: Respiratory infections in new puppies are common just like kids at school with"colds". Kennel cough is a term that has many different meanings depending on whose using it. What you describe indicates irritation I the back of the throat and especially if his attitude and appetite are good he will get well but sometimes it takes 4-6 weeks. Using guaifenesin expectorant at o.1 ml per pound body weight 3 times daily as well as moist air treatments can only help. As long as he feels well you can begin that and see what happens over 4-5 days before deciding on antibiotic use. Please let me know if any questions.